[Rd] Wishlist: 'append' argument for write.ftable()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 17 08:55:21 CET 2006

    Stephen> On Mar 16, 2006, at 9:48 PM, Stephen D. Weigand wrote:

    >> I would like to suggest that an 'append' argument be added to
    >> write.ftable().  This would allow, for example, the user to
    >> append ftable() output to a text report.
    >>
    >> I have attached an svn patch to ftable.R that makes the proposed
    >> change to write.ftable(). [A very trivial change since 'append'
    >> is simply passed to cat().]
    >>
    >> I have also attached a patch to read.ftable.Rd which documents
    >> the proposed argument (borrowing from cat.Rd).

That's an obviously simple and useful proposal.
It will be in R-devel (R 2.3.0 to be) -- with a slight
modification of putting the new 'append' after the 'quote'
argument:
Will it make less likely to hurt anybody who has made use of
"positional argumenting", i.e., had used

write.ftable(tab, fil, TRUE)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich