[Rd] Open .ssc .S ... files in R (PR#8690)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Mar 20 15:04:16 CET 2006

On 3/20/2006 3:01 AM, Paul Roebuck wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 Simon Urbanek wrote:

>> > I'll make this change in the Windows Rgui.
>> > Is this an issue in the Mac gui too?
>>
>> Yes, I was not aware of .ssc, either. Will fix that.
>
> The Info.plist modifications I sent Simon a while back
> included both dot-ssc and dot-s for S-plus files.
>
> Might want to keep in mind that dot-s (and dot-S) is the
> file extension for assembly source and on case-insensitive
> file systems, like Windows and Mac OS X (HFS+ using default
> settings), that could cause confusion if assembly source
> files are present.
>
> See also gcc(1).

On Windows outside of gcc, assembly source is normally named *.asm.  R
only uses one assembly source file named *.S so I think it's fairly
unlikely that this will cause confusion.  I don't know if it's more
common on OS X.

On the other hand, *.s or *.S are reasonably common names for S source
files in packages, so I think this is a useful change, at least in Windows.

Duncan Murdoch