[Rd] pbinom( ) function (PR#8700)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 22 15:34:34 CET 2006

    cspark> Full_Name: Chanseok Park Version: R 2.2.1 OS: RedHat
    cspark> EL4 Submission from: (NULL) (130.127.112.89)

    cspark> pbinom(any negative value, size, prob) should be
    cspark> zero.  But I got the following results.  I mean, if
    cspark> a negative value is close to zero, then pbinom()
    cspark> calculate pbinom(0, size, prob).
    >>  >> pbinom( -2.220446e-22, 3,.1) [1] 0.729 >> pbinom(
    >> -2.220446e-8, 3,.1) [1] 0.729 >> pbinom( -2.220446e-7,
    >> 3,.1) [1] 0
    >>
    >> Yes, all the [dp]* functions which are discrete with mass
    >> on the integers only, do *round* their 'x' to integers.
    >>
    >> I could well argue that the current behavior is *not* a
    >> bug, since we do treat "x close to integer" as integer,
    >> and hence pbinom(eps, size, prob) with eps "very close to
    >> 0" should give pbinom(0, size, prob) as it now does.
    >>
    >> However, for esthetical reasons, I agree that we should
    >> test for "< 0" first (and give 0 then) and only round
    >> otherwise.  I'll change this for R-devel (i.e. R 2.3.0 in
    >> about a month).

    cspark> dbinom() also behaves similarly.
    >>  yes, similarly, but differently.  I have changed it (for
    >> R-devel) as well, to behave the same as others d*() ,
    >> e.g., dpois(), dnbinom() do.

    Duncan> Martin, your description makes it sound as though
    Duncan> dbinom(0.3, size, prob) would give the same answer
    Duncan> as dbinom(0, size, prob), whereas it actually gives
    Duncan> 0 with a warning, as documented in ?dbinom.  The d*
    Duncan> functions only round near-integers to integers,
    Duncan> where it looks as though near means within 1E-7.

That's correct. Above, I did not describe what happens for the d*()
functions but said that dbinom() behaves differently than
pbinom and that I have changed dbinom() to behave similarly to
dnbinom(), dgeom(),....

    Duncan> The p* functions round near integers to integers,
    Duncan> and truncate others to the integer below.

    Duncan> I suppose the reason for this behaviour is to
    Duncan> protect against rounding error giving nonsense
    Duncan> results; I'm not sure that's a great idea,

I agree that it may not seem such a great idea; but that has
been discussed and decided (IIRC against my preference) quite a
while ago, and I don't think it is worthwhile to rediscuss such
relatively fundamental behavior every few years..

    Duncan> but if we do it, should we really be handling 0
    Duncan> differently?

yes:
- only around 0, small absolute deviations are large relative deviations

- 0 is the left border of the function's domain, where one would expect
  strict mathematical behavior more strongly.

Martin Maechler