[Rd] R make install and demo(graphics) issue

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Mar 24 17:04:04 CET 2006

Matthew,

On Mar 20, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Matthew Beason wrote:

>     Thanks! That resolved the "make install" issue. However, after
> installation when running "demo(graphics)" or "png()" from within
> R, I get the following error:
> [...]
> unable to load shared library '/usr/local/R/lib/R/modules/R_X11.so':
>   Could not load module /usr/local/R/lib/R/modules/R_X11.so.
>         Dependent module /usr/java14/jre/bin/libjpeg.a(libjpeg.so.62)
> could not be loaded.
>         File /usr/java14/jre/bin/libjpeg.a is not an
>           archive or the file could not be read properly.

This seems like a problem with your libjpeg shared library - it seems
to be bogus. Please make sure you have a properly installed libjpeg
and that the correct one is detected. The one above comes from JRE
which is probably not what you want. I don't know about your setup,
so it's hard to tell which libraries are supposed to be where. Do you
have binaries for multiple architectures on the same machine? I'm
currently traveling so I can't check our AIX setup.

Cheers,
Simon