[Rd] Suggest patch for princomp.formula and prcomp.formula

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 26 22:29:35 CEST 2006

I would argue this is a bug in model.frame(), but it seems that it is
S-compatible.  That is, variables excluded by - appear in the model frame
even though they do not really appear in the simplified formula.  (I
suppose the rationale is that - need not always interpreted as deletion.)

The proposed fix regretably will not work, since one can do things like

library(MASS)
prcomp(~ dist + dist:climb, hills)

I'll see if I can dream up a general solution.  (One way forward is to
simplify the formula and call terms again, but simplifcation is rather
clumsy code.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk