[Rd] Rgui, Startup, HOME, R_USER, ...

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:22:37 CEST 2006

Just a few comments:

- although one can use environment variables in Windows applications
(I am referring to applications generally and not just R) its not
the preferred way of doing things.  Its ok to support environment
variables but they should not be relied on as the preferred way
to set configurations though they could be an alternate way.

- HOME is really bad since it can conflict with other applications,
usually ones that have been ported from UNIX

- to find out how startup works I think you will likely have to review the
startup source of code of R.  I once tried to add some lookup of these to
batchfiles (but I ultimately decided to simplify it to the point
where none of them were required) and found that reviewing the R
souce was the quickest way to be sure. That was
a whlie ago though.