[Rd] Including a single function from a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 5 16:12:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Ken Kelley wrote:

> Thank you both very much for your quick and helpful responses.
>
> I added "Imports: MASS, gsl" to the DESCRIPTION file and that took care of
> at the "Specifying imports and exports" section (section 1.6.1) of the
> Writing R Extensions manual and I do not see anything about including an
> "Imports:" line in the DESCRIPTION file when including an "importFrom" in the
> NAMESPACE file. Perhaps including this information in a future update should
> be considered.

Well, no, it described under the DESCRIPTION file:

   The optional @samp{Imports} field lists packages whose namespaces are
   imported from but which do not need to be attached.

Note that caveat which complicates the issue and I think makes in
inappropriate for that section.

> I was building the package on a machine that had a pre-release version of R
> 2.3.0 (from some time ago). After updating to the released version of 2.3,
> the warning about a "depreciated NULL environment" did not occur and the
> package built just fine.
>
> Thanks again and have a good day,
> Ken
>

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 May 2006, Ken Kelley wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> I'm building a package where I want to include a function from two
>>> different packages. In particular, I want to include mvrnorm and
>>> hyperg_2F1 from MASS and gsl, respectively (but the specific functions
>>> do not matter). With what I've tried after reading the "Specifying
>>> imports and exports" section from the "Writing R Extensions" manual, I
>>> get an error: "Namespace dependencies not required."
>>

>> When do you get the error?
>>
>>> My NAMESPACE file consists of the following:
>>> importFrom(MASS, mvrnorm)
>>> importFrom(gsl, hyperg_2F1)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk