[Rd] S4 initialize methods, unexpected recursive callNextMethod

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu May 11 20:56:51 CEST 2006

John Chambers <jmc at r-project.org> writes:

> It's a bug resulting from the combination of:
>  1. multiple recursive levels of callNextMethod()
>  2. nonstandard arguments in the method definition; that is, (.Object,
>     x) vs .Object, ...) for the generic.

Thanks for the explanation and work around suggestion.  If I'm feeling
brave, perhaps I'll take a look at the addNextMethod and
callNextMethod computations.  We found this bug for a "real" use-case,
so I have some interest in a solution that doesn't involve changing
the initializers for the three classes involved...

Best,

+ seth