[Rd] install.packages bug (PR#8873)

tdhock at OCF.Berkeley.EDU tdhock at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed May 17 23:45:38 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've been using R for about 3 years now and I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
I'm using R 2.2.0.

The way R is set up to get packages from CRAN using install.packages is
really convenient --- if you are installing to your system's main package
directory. However, I observe the following problem:

I want package X but it requires package Y. Further, I have neither
package right now. And, I want to install both of them to my homedir (say
at ~/mylib) rather than the main R package directory. What I would want to
do then is:

> install.packages('X',lib='~/mylib',dependencies=TRUE)

However, this doesn't work. It does notice that X depends on Y and so it
downloads Y first, but it downloads Y to the wrong directory!! It should
download both to ~/mylib in my opinion!!!

Sincerely,
Toby Dylan Hocking
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~tdhock