[Rd] helping out

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Thu May 18 17:46:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

I just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself.  I am a
professor of operations management at a Canadian University and an
empirical researcher (using mainly archival data from finance and
accounting primarily with econometric methods).  I have finally made
the leap to remove all of SAS from my machines (damn license code
nonsense was killing me) and decided to adopt R.  So I am very new to
the R system and still just getting up to speed (reading the fine
*long* manuals and etc).

I am also an old programmer (read that late 1970s, early 1980s
timeframe) and more recently I have been an open source volunteer for
OpenOffice.org (ran their lingucomponent project until last year), a
volunteer for the Blackdown Java project (helped do the initial port
of Java 1.1.1 to PowerPC Linux) and I have submitted bug fixes and
patches to the Linux kernel, glibc, gcc, and the like,  mainly to
support PPC Linux.  I now primarily use x86_64 Linux and MacOSX.  I
can program in C, C++, Fortran and a number of other languages.

So once I get up to speed, I would love to volunteer to help pay back
for the really nice system you have made available.

I found this mailing list by accident looking for something to tell
me about the NULL environment issue that hit me when I moved from
version 2.2.1 to version 2.3.0.  If there is a developers page that
lists cvs checkout info (or do you use subversion or some other
system) and the details of who to submit all patches and things to
(is this list for diffs?), I would love to be pointed at it.

I am on too many mailing lists right now, so I signed up for digest
mode.  So if anyone wants/needs an immediate response please simply
cc me.

Thanks,

Kevin Hendricks

Professor of Operations Management and Information Technology
Richard Ivey School of Business
University of Western Ontario
London, ON
kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca