[Rd] Numerical error in R (win32) (PR#8909)

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Tue May 30 20:23:42 CEST 2006

Beyond the R FAQ 7.31 the article "What Every Computer Scientist Should
Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic, by David Goldberg"
(http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html) is very
informative, but it is rather long (this topic has many subtleties).
Wikipedia has a shorter page on "Floating point arithmetic",
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point) which covers some of the
most important points for scientists who are not computer scientists,
and also has many links.

If it's really important to have exact representation for decimal
fractions, then look at the draft IEEE proposal for "General Decimal
Arithmetic" (http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/ ) which states:  "Most
computers today support binary floating-point in hardware.  While
suitable for many purposes, binary floating-point arithmetic should not
be used for financial, commercial, and user-centric applications or web
services because the decimal data used in these applications cannot be
represented exactly using binary floating-point. (See the Frequently
Asked Questions pages for more explanation and examples.)"

(I would quibble with the blanket statement that "binary floating-point
arithmetic should not be used for financial [...] applications" -- it
all depends on the needs of the particular financial application.)

I don't believe that there are any facilities in R for doing decimal
arithmetic, but I would guess that some accounting applications might
offer some.

-- Tony Plate

(I removed R-bugs from the cc list because it's not a bug, as has
already been noted.)