[Rd] Syntax Error in Rcmd check on Windows

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 2 22:59:19 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> It reassuring to know that the problem appears not to be with my
>>> code.
>>> Thanks for your help so far and hopefully you are able to find the
>>> bug! Let me know when you know more.
>>> Michael
>>> P.S. When I do a dos2unix on RLadyBug-Ex.R "Rterm --no-save <
>>> RLadyBug-Ex.R " works fine.
>> Yes, the problem has to do with the CR LF line ends in the file.
>> For some reason R switches from handling those properly to not
>> doing so. The problem I'm having right now is that I can't do
>> input redirection in gdb in Windows, so it's really hard to see
>> when the switch happens, or why.
>
> I'm now fairly sure this isn't an R bug after all.  It goes away if
> I edit out the requirement in RLadyBug for rJava, which makes me
> think that rJava is somehow messing up R's input routines.  (Rcmd
> check fails later when it can't find  ".jnew", as you'd expect.
> But there's no spurious syntax error.)
>
> Because of the difficulties with the debugger I'm going to quit
> now; if you find any evidence that suggests it really is R's bug
> after all, please let me know.
>
> Simon, let me know if there are any tests I can do to help track
> this down.

AFAIR this is the  (sort of known) issue of Java changing the
newlines behavior of the output under R CMD check. However, so far no
one could tell me what the issue really is.
Can't just R CMD check ignore the CR/LF issues on Windows? I was
assuming that it is not making distinction between \r\n and \n
anyway ...

Cheers,
Simon