[Rd] eval(match.call()) (PR#9339)

marc_schwartz at comcast.net marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 21:09:40 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 20:49 +0100, harringt at stat.ubc.ca wrote:
> Full_Name: Justin Harrington
> Version: 2.4.0
> OS: Fedora Core 6
> Submission from: (NULL) (142.103.121.203)
>

> When I type the (albeit stupid) command
>
> eval(match.call())
>
> R crashes with the following messages (truncated):
>
> *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R terminated
>
> The complete output is available at http://md.stat.ubc.ca/Routput.txt
>
> For reference, here are the results from version:
>
> platform       i686-redhat-linux-gnu
> arch           i686
> os             linux-gnu
> system         i686, linux-gnu
> status
> major          2
> minor          4.0
> year           2006
> month          10
> day            03
> svn rev        39566
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
>
> and my version of R was installed using yum from the fedora repositories.

Hmmm....

I cannot replicate this using:

  R version 2.4.0 Patched (2006-10-03 r39576)

on FC5:

> eval(match.call())
Error in match.call(definition, call, expand.dots) :
        '.Primitive...' is not a function

I'm not running "Zod" yet, but:

1. There have been LOTS of updates to FC6 since release from watching
the FC lists. I would be sure that your system is fully updated.

2. You might want to see if compiling and installing 2.4.0 patched from
CRAN resolves this behavior at all, though I do not see anything readily
evident in the NEWS file to suggest that any fixes are relevant here.

3. If neither of those do anything, it would be worthwhile to file a bug
report at RH's Bugzilla against R to see if there is something unique in
the version that they are creating in Fedora Extras. Tom Callaway, RH's
maintainer for R, does read r-devel, so he may pipe in here also. I have
cc'd him on this reply.

>From the BT you provided, this looks like it could be a libreadline
issue perhaps.

HTH,