[Rd] Getting the name of a SEXP type in package code?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 7 18:57:58 CET 2006

    Seth> Hi,
    Seth> Is there an alternative to type2char that is available for use in
    Seth> package code?  It would be useful for producing more informative error
    Seth> messages.

I haven't looked closely,  but I vaguely remember that I had
thought in the past,
(a version of)  type2char() should be made part of R's API.
Exactly because of the reason you give.

A more sensible name for the exported function would probably be
R_type2char    or
Rtype_to_char  or
Rtype_as_char

If you are going to provide a patch (against R-devel),
you'd ideally also include the corresponding entry in
doc/manual/R-exts.texi ... (:-)

Martin

PS: I will be mostly absent from e-mail for the rest of the week.