[Rd] Making Solaris 10 x86/x64 build of R available?

Tai-Wei (David) Lin Taiwei.Lin at Sun.COM
Sat Nov 11 03:13:02 CET 2006

Hi Professor Ripley,

Thanks for the tip. It worked for me. I'll need to work on packaging
next and maybe a bit more testing of the steps on another build machine.

I just found out that there is already an older version of R binary for
Solaris 10 at
http://apstc.sun.com.sg/popup.php?l1=research&l2=projects&l3=s10port&f=applications#R

Its readme has compile options:

http://apstc.sun.com.sg/downloads/s10/README/R-project-2.2.0-sol10-x86.txt

Perhaps we interacted with different R users. I would expect not all R
users would want to compile their own R binary, similar to not all Linux
users would like to compile their own kernel. Without a choice to
download pre-built R on Solaris, there won't be a demand for the
pre-build binary. Instead, people would focus on how to build their own
or would use a pre-build binary for a different platform as an
alternative. With this option, it might generate some demands.

Only time will tell and I have no intention to speculate or make a case.
Rather, I would like to identify ways to contribute within my ability
and attention span. ;) Currently, I am considering different ways to
post a build of R with HDF5 support. Hence my first email to check with
this alias before I go off doing my own things.

Thanks,

David

Prof Brian Ripley :