[Rd] inconsistency or bug in coef() (PR#9358)

rmh at temple.edu rmh at temple.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:46:22 CET 2006

I am fascinated.  I can accept the argument that suppressing aliased
values is a valid behavior of the program.  The defense of the inconsistency
between the two displays surprises me.

Yes, Brian, I checked.  That's why I offered the option of an inconsistency.
I do believe strongly that the coef section of summary and the coef function
should give identical results.

I still think the inconsistency is a bug.  I think the author of the
print.summary.lm did the right thing by showing the requested coef for
the x variable and giving it a missing value.

Rich