[Rd] R.exp file for building packages

Christopher G. Green (W) cggreen at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 14 06:31:49 CET 2006

I am trying to port some C code from S-Plus (7.0.6) to R (2.4.0) under
Windows XP SP2. I use Visual C++ 6.0 to build my library for S-Plus, so I'd
like to stick with that set up, if possible. According to the
README.packages file, I need the file R.exp (containing functions exported
from R.dll, I'm guessing) to build an R package with VC++.

>From what I've read in the archives of this list, R.exp should be installed
in $RHOME/src/gnuwin32 if I chose an appropriate option back when I
installed R from the binary. I did a full install of R, but R.exp is
nowhere to be found.

Is this file no longer included in the pre-compiled install for Windows? Is
there some other way I can recreate the R.exp file? I am currently trying
to hack something using

dumpbin /exports "C:\program files\R\R-2.4.0\bin\R.dll" > exports

and editing "exports" into an R.exp file...but I'm not too clear on what
the file's supposed to look like.

Thanks,

Chris Green

Christopher G. Green (cggreen AT stat.washington.edu)
Graduate Student
Department of Statistics, Box 354322,
Seattle, WA, 98195-4322, U.S.A.
http://www.stat.washington.edu/cggreen/