[Rd] c.factor

Matthew Dowle mdowle at concordiafunds.com
Wed Nov 15 13:51:17 CET 2006

Prof Ripley,

> Well, R has managed without a factor method for c() for most of its
decade
> of existence (not that it originally had factors as we know them).

R has managed without other things too for most of its decade. For
example, row names in data frames have very recently been made
efficient. That is an example how R was managing for a decade but an
improvement has still been made. As we become aware of what we believe
is missing in R, I believe the correct approach, the approach you
advocate, is to contribute back to the list. This is what I did. I also
contributed a potential solution in the form of working source code. I
stand by my statement that the current result of c(x,y) when x and y are
factors is not useful. It is a specific statement about a specific
operation, not any general criticism of R. I agree with you that factors
are best viewed as an enumeration type, but I would argue further that
c() of 2 enumerated types should return an enumerated type, retaining
the powerful feature of enumerated types in R. However, currently R
ignores the fact that x and y are enumerated. It silently ignores the
levels information, and returns an integer vector whose integers are,
well, not useful. Or, if you prefer, not as useful as the proposal I
posted.

I have a solution which works for me, and I have contributed it. One
other person has shown some interest, and taken it further to work with
multiple arguments which looks like a nice improvement.

The only thing I would comment, if c.factor does go further, is to
please avoid the use of as.character in the implementation. One key
advantage of the factor type is precisely that it is enumerated, and
therefore is efficient for categorical data sets. Intermediate coercion
to character is inefficient in this case, which is why I avoided it in
the solution I posted.

Regards,
Matthew