[Rd] Smallest R executable

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Nov 21 18:05:31 CET 2006

Iago Mosqueira wrote:
---
Hello,

I am trying to find out how can I generate the smallest R executable. R
is to be run in a grid application, in batch mode, so I need a small
exceutable, possibly getting rid of any interactive component. Should I
look at the embedded version? Any other pointers?
----
(email copy and pasted because of charset problems?)

Then look no further than littler (pronounced little r)!

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/LittleR

Since we switched from using upper-case R to lower-case r, the space
savings have been incredible! ;)

Seriously, though, you might find it a good fit for batch programming,
as it supports she-bang style programming. It is an executable linked to
libR.so, and there's no shell script front-end.

But are you more concerned about saving disk space, or R's in-memory
footprint?

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner