[Rd] Undocumented S4 methods: generic 'show'

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Wed Nov 22 14:51:32 CET 2006

>On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:
>>
>> \alias{show, equation-method}
>
>There are no spaces in the examples in Writing R Extensions,
>so I would
>not have assumed they are allowed.  Does it work without the
>space?  (If
>it supposed to, we need to document that.)

Dear Prof. Ripley, Dear Kurt,

many thanks for your swift replies. Yes, after dropping the space in the
\alias{} everything works fine.
Apologies for not having read the documentation carefully enough and
indeed in section 2.1.3 it is stated:

"generic,signature_list-method"

furthermore, in the following paragraph it is clearly written:

"...where signature list contains the names of the classes in the
signature of the method (without
quotes) separated by ',' (without whitespace),..."

Hence, the fine manual is pretty explicit about whitespaces (which I
have not compared carefully enough with my ill-footed \alias{}
directive).

Best,
Bernhard