[Rd] Crash when embedding R X11 windows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 29 17:22:27 CET 2006

Dear R developers,

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 15:26, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> I've been experimenting with embedding R X11 windows into another
> application using KDE's QXEmbed on linux. Attempting to do so will crash R
> (with R 2.4.0, trunk, and I know the bug has been around in prior
> versions). I used to think this was related to bug #848, but I'm not sure,
> if / how the solution suggested there still applies to current versions of
> R.
>
> After debugging, I came up with the following patch (in src/modules/X11):

shame on me. After further investigation, I found out, that indeed QXEmbed is
to blame, not R (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=116448102901184&w=2). The fact that all
other applications, I had tried to embed, did not crash, led me to believe
otherwise for a long time.

The patch, I suggested, probably would not do any harm, either way, but should
not be strictly needed.

Sorry about the noise.

Regards
Thomas Friedrichsmeier