[Rd] strange error from R CMD check about xaxp

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Nov 30 05:16:51 CET 2006

Dear R-devel,

Kurt had alerted me to the problem that the randomForest package that I
maintain has been failing checks in R-devel.  However, I just can't see
why or where it's failing.  I'd very much appreciate any pointer.

The failure occur when running the example code in varImpPlot.Rd:

> varImpPlot(mtcars.rf)
Error in par(opar) : invalid value specified for graphical parameter
"xaxp"
Execution halted

However, I do not have "par(opar)" or set xaxp anywhere in any of the
.Rd or .R files in the package.  In varImpPlot(), I used the construct:

    if (nmeas > 1) {
        op <- par(mfrow=c(1, 2), mar=c(4, 5, 4, 1), mgp=c(2, .8, 0),
                  oma=c(0, 0, 2, 0))
        on.exit(par(op))
    }

The weird thing is that even after I commented out the entire section
above, I still get the same error at the same place!  Running the
original code in an interactive session produced no error or warning.
I'm quite at my wit's end.  Would very much appreciate any help!

Best,
Andy

Andy Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research    PO Box 2000 RY33-300
Merck Research Labs        Rahway, NJ 07065
andy_liaw(a)merck.com          732-594-0820