[Rd] Web site link problems (PR#9401)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Nov 30 10:59:13 CET 2006

ross at biostat.ucsf.edu wrote:
> Full_Name: Ross Boylan
> Version: N/A
> OS: Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (198.144.201.14)
>

> 1. http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html includes
> "Paul Johnson's R tips page is a organized collection of how to do things in R,
> with many questions and tips culled from R-help"
> "R tips" is a link to http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/R/Rtips.html.  I get a message
> the page is no longer there when I try it.
>
> Desired state: delete or point to an active version of the document, unless this
> is some transitory problem.

The R tips seem to be found at http://pj.freefaculty.org/R/Rtips.html
these days (but even PJ's official home page has a link to
http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn...).

It might be better to link to the R Wiki, though. E.g., at
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:tips
> 2. http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html includes in the section
> Surprising behavior and bugs, "make sure you read R Bugs in the R-faq."  The
> latter is the link http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R%20Bugs, which
> takes me to the page but not the section.  The link on the FAQ page to that
> section is http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-Bugs (i.e., no %20).
>
> Desired state: update the link.

Yes. (It's only a half-page scroll plus an extra click though...)
> You also might want to consider footers on your web pages saying "to report
> problems with this web page do xxxxx".  The pages I looked at didn't have this
> info, as far as I can tell.

Maybe, if it is easy. The whole bug repository is overdue for
replacement, so things that are not critical and/or easy to fix may be
left alone...
> I hope this is an appropriate place to let you know!

It'll do. Don't report other website issues to the bug repository though.