[Rd] documenation duplication and proposed automatic tools

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 3 00:27:51 CEST 2006

Hi.  Far from complete, but some sketches on a solution is in the
Rdoc-to-Rd translator of the R.oo package.  I, the author, never made
this very public because it uses a very ugly parser etc for it, but
the basics is there and I use it to generate \usage{} statements and
class hierarchies automatically, import example code and so on.  I
never have worry about consistency between code and Rd usage because
they are generated automatically.

An alternative to generate dynamic help pages in HTML (or other
formats too) is provided by the R.rsp package which allows you to
write things like:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<%title="R Server Pages - Hello world!"%>
 <head>
  <title><%=title%></title>
 </head>
  <h1><%=title%></h1>
  This is an example of an RSP page.  This HTML page was generated
  from an RSP file on a <%=format(Sys.time(), "%A")%> at
  <%=format(Sys.time(), "%H:%M:%S")%>.

and have R to translate it to HTML code.  It even got a built-in HTTP
daemon (from Rpad) to do this automatically.  This would allow you to
generate instant help on classes and objects etc.

/Henrik