[Rd] Possible bug in accessing methods documentation?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Oct 12 00:04:05 CEST 2006

Seth's example is really good -- ExpressionSet extends eSet, and
featureNames is defined on eSet rather than ExpressionSet. To live
up to the documentation, we should end up at the help page with
\alias{featureNames,eSet-method}. A simpler example from the same
package is

?exprs(sample.ExpressionSet)

which should take us to the page with
\alias{exprs,ExpressionSet-method}.

Probably related to the overall issue,

method ? exprs("ExpressionSet")
method ? featureNames("ExpressionSet") # inheritance

do not work.  Also, in the examples for ?"?"

methods ? combo

should probably be

method ? combo

Martin

Seth Falcon <sfalcon at fhcrc.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Reading help("Documentation"), I'm led to believe that a help call
> like:
>
>     ?myFun(x, sqrt(wt))
>
> Will search for help on the appropriate method in the case that myFun
> is generic.  This isn't working for me.  Here is an example using the
> Biobase package:
>
> ## If Biobase is not installed
> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> biocLite("Biobase")
>
>> library("Biobase")
>> data(sample.ExpressionSet)
>> class(sample.ExpressionSet)
> [1] "ExpressionSet"
> attr(,"package")
> [1] "Biobase"
>> z <- featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
>> z[1:2]
> [1] "AFFX-MurIL2_at"  "AFFX-MurIL10_at"
>> ?featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
> Warning message:
> no method defined for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"' in: .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame())
> Error in .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame()) :
>         no documentation for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"'
>

> Am I expecting the wrong thing or is this broken?
>
> + seth

Martin T. Morgan
Bioconductor / Computational Biology
http://bioconductor.org