[Rd] Error condition in evaluating a promise

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 18 16:42:20 CEST 2006

Martin,

On Oct 17, 2006, at 11:43 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:

> I believe the technique is to create an environment in the
> namespace, and then to access that through functions:

thanks, but this is not what I want (the symbols in the environment
are invisible outside) and it has nothing to do with the question I
posed: as I was saying in the previous e-mail the point is to have
exported variables in a namespace, but their value is known only
after the namespace was attached (to be precise I'm talking about
rJava here and many variables are valid only after the VM was
initialized - using them before is an error). I have an ugly work-
around for that as well, the question was whether promises could be
used for that purpose as a more clean solution and the answer appears
to be no - at least for R <=2.4.0.

Thanks,
Simon