[Rd] pcre library in R (PR#9319)

bkinney at hmdc.harvard.edu bkinney at hmdc.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 27 21:20:05 CEST 2006

Full_Name: Earl Kinney
Version: 2.4.0
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Submission from: (NULL) (140.247.116.214)

At HMDC, we make use of the cross building tools to build Windows R libraries on
Linux.  Recently when attempting to update the cross building environment to
2.4.0 we encountered a linker error.  The error reference an undefined symbol
"__pcre_ucp_findprop".  After walking through the code there appear to be a
combination of two problems:

1. Some of the PCRE code does not properly wrap ucp calls with appropriate
"#ifdef SUPPORT_UCP" directives.  I plan to report this to the PCRE developers.

2. In R, the implementations for this ucp function are removed, as R does not
link against the entire pcre library.

I was able to get around this problem by including the following files directly
from the PCRE distribution and adding them to the makefiles:

pcre_ucp_searchfuncs.c
ucptable.c

As this is such a trivial change, if you could please consider adding this to
future releases of R with this release of PCRE, I would be most appreciative.

Regards,
Earl (Bob) Kinney
UNIX Systsms Administrator
Harvard-MIT Data Center