[Rd] how to determine if a function's result is invisible

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Oct 28 19:12:59 CEST 2006

On 10/26/2006 5:26 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

>>> Perhaps R_Visible be made available at the R level in the future.
>>> It would be helpful in situations where you are transforming a
>>> function but want to keep aspects of it such as whether the
>>> return result is invisible.
>> Actually, there is a way, but it's undocumented (i.e., use at your own
>> risk).  It's the eval.with.vis function.  This is an internal function
>> that is used within source() and capture.output(); you'll have to guess
>> from the usage there what the args are.   But here's an F that does
>> something close to what you want:
>>
>>  > fix(F)
>>  > f <- function() 1
>>  > g <- function() invisible(1)
>>  >
>>  > F <- function (expr)
>> + {
>> +     expr <- substitute(expr)
>> +     pf <- parent.frame()
>> +     tmp <- .Internal(eval.with.vis(expr, pf,
>> +         baseenv()))
>> +     tmp
>> + }
>>  > F(f())
>> $value
>> [1] 1
>>
>> $visible
>> [1] TRUE
>>
>>  > F(g())
>> $value
>> [1] 1
>>
>> $visible
>> [1] FALSE
>>

> Perfect.  Thanks!!!!

I've just added this function to R-devel (to become 2.5.0 next spring):

withVisible <- function(x) {
     x <- substitute(x)
     v <- .Internal(eval.with.vis(x, parent.frame(), baseenv()))
}

Luke Tierney suggested simplifying the interface (no need to duplicate
the 3 parameter eval interface, you can just wrap this in evalq() if you
need that flexibility); the name "with.vis" was suggested, but it looks
like an S3 method for the with() generic, so I renamed it.

Duncan Murdoch