[Rd] matrix/array types, extending R API?

Na Li nali at umn.edu
Tue Oct 31 00:09:58 CET 2006

In writing R packages, I need some rudimentary support for matrix/array
in C code and I would also like to use Blas/Lapack functions.

Previously I just rolled out my own (simple) C++ classes.  But it
becomes troublesome for multiple packages (having duplicated files and
needing to keep them in sync, etc.)

I found that the src/library/stats/src/mAR.c defined struct Array and
some utility functions, which would be useful.

Since I think some simple matrix support is widely needed, I wonder if
the core team would consider include this (or similar things, such as
the C++ classes in package Matrix, with more intuitive interface to
Blas/Lapack for 'casual' users) in R public API?

Thanks,

Michael