[Rd] missing SIGWINCH?

Jon Stearley jrstear at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 31 20:48:08 CET 2006

I have an R library which uses identify() and system(com="xterm -e
less /a/corresponding/file") to view files when I click on an x11()
plot.  I can successfully resize the xterm on Linux (i486) and Macos
10.4 (G4 and G5), but NOT Macos 10.4 (Intel).  For example, on a new
mac pro:

# in a terminal,xterm,iterm,etc:
xterm -e "printenv | less"
# the resulting xterm resizes fine - eg text wraps at resized window
boundaries.  so i don't think the problem is in xterm (?)

# BUT, in R:
system(com="xterm -e 'printenv | less'")
# the resulting xterm DOES NOT resize fine - eg text does not wrap at
resized window boundaries.

these both work fine on the other platforms, and i don't see any
obviously important differences in the environment variables.  i have
confirmed this behaviour on two different out-of-the-box mac pros.
perhaps there is a peculiarity with R's system() on macos/intel (i
have no idea)?

not being able to resize the resulting xterm turns out to be a major
bummer for my application - any help towards debugging this would be
much appreciated.  thank you!