[Rd] lm, weights and ...

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Sep 3 18:26:09 CEST 2006

"hadley wickham" <h.wickham at gmail.com> writes:

> > lm2 <- function(...) lm(...)
> > lm2(mpg ~ wt, data=mtcars)
>
> Call:
> lm(formula = ..1, data = ..2)
>
> Coefficients:
> (Intercept)           wt
>      37.285       -5.344
>
> > lm2(mpg ~ wt, weights=cyl, data=mtcars)
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : ..2 used in an incorrect context,
> no ... to look in
>

> Can anyone explain why this is happening?  (Obviously this is a
> manufactured example, but it crops up in ggplot when you want to
> provide a function to perform smoothing)

Presumably this is due to the nonstandard evaluation of the weights
argument. This is a long story, the short version is that the argument
ought to have been designed to be a model formula, but we haven't been
willing to sacrifice S-PLUS compatibility. A more extensive
white-paper on the issues, written by Thomas Lumley, is at

http://developer.r-project.org/nonstandard-eval.pdf