[Rd] setMethod("Logic", ...)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 11:49:33 CEST 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Robin Hankin wrote:

> Professor Ripley
>
> thank you for this (and indeed thank you for solving my earlier
> problem on octonions).
>
> I still don't know how  to force logic operations on brob objects to give an
> error.

I found this in the methods sources

    ## R does not currently do the Logic group (! & |)
    ## A strange group, since the argument lists are different.  But
    ## perhaps we'll add it sometime.

(Not sure about the comment: there are unary and binary operators in
Arith.)

It looks to me as if you can work around this by defining S3 methods for
the class, if that is all you want to do.

setClass("foo", representation="numeric")
x <- new("foo", pi)
> !x
[1] FALSE
> "!.foo" <- function(x) stop("not supported")
> !x
Error in "!.foo"(x) : not supported

> 06, at 16:45, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> >Accordng to the S4groupGeneric page, there is no such group.
> >
> >My guess as to why:
> >
> >Those operators are not S3 generic in R, and S4 dispatch is piggy-backed
> >on S3 dispatch (not necessarily, but for convenience).

I was wrong here.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk