[Rd] Unexpected source() behavior in R-devel

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 4 16:51:55 CEST 2006

Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov> writes:
> Seth Falcon wrote:
>> Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

>>> It is not entirely obvious that it is the same problem, but it might be.
>>>
>>> This happened to me on Linux (2.3.1 on FC5), but it has only happened
>>> that one time. I don't think I did anything particularly strange
>>> earlier in that session.
>>>
>>> Of course, with 20/20 hindsight, I should have taken the core dump
>>> option...
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure this is the same issue and one that has been fixed in
>> R-devel.
>>
>>     r38716 | ripley | 2006-07-30 00:19:35 -0700 (Sun, 30 Jul 2006) | 1 line
>>     Changed paths:
>>        M /trunk/src/modules/internet/internet.c
>>         crash workaround from Seth Falcon
>>

>> Sean: can you try just download.file with a URL that gives 404?  Are
>> you running an R version prior to the above commit?
>>
> Seth,
>
> As Peter pointed out, this looks like a simple server-side issue.
> Here is the sessionInfo() from my original post.  And below is the
> output of two versions of download.file.

Yes, there is an issue with the BioC website (investigating) and I
didn't mean to imply otherwise.  For now, as you discovered, use
http://www.bioconductor.org (note the 'www').

I only responded here because of the segfault you reported which most
certainly is not a simple server-side issue :-)

Did you see the segfault with a recent R or an older one?  If more
recent, then it might be worth trying to reproduce and tracking down
the bug.