[Rd] Unable to save a plot containing Chinese (two-byte) Characters (PR#9201)

stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Mon Sep 4 17:25:02 CEST 2006

Full_Name: Pavel Stranak
Version: 2.3.1
OS: Mac OS X
Submission from: (NULL) (195.113.20.81)

Whenever I draw a plot containing Chinese character, it draws fine on screen,
but never saves to a file.
It does not matter, whether I first draw it on screen and than save or draw
straight to pdf.
It is also all the same, whether the characters are in label or in the plot
itself (via "pch=..." or text()).
The Error is always: "conversion failure in 'mbcsToSbcs' "

This is an example:

plot(1:20, 1:20, main="汉语 Derivational Characters' Productivity")
# it draws well, I attempt to 'Save As...' in GUI

Error in dev.copy(device = pdf, file = "/Users/pavel/Desktop/hanyu.pdf",  :
	conversion failure in 'mbcsToSbcs'