[Rd] setMethod("Summary")

Parlamis Franklin fparlamis at mac.com
Mon Sep 4 20:58:36 CEST 2006

i believe, if the function you are trying to work with has "..." as
the first formal argument (as do most if not all of the "Summary"
group functions), you will need to redefine the generic in order to
provide a "real" S4 argument on which to dispatch.

the following works for me (IIRC it was martin who initially pointed
me in this direction, so any thanks are his).

setGeneric("max", function(x, ..., na.rm = FALSE)
	{
		standardGeneric("max")
	},
	useAsDefault = function(x, ..., na.rm = FALSE)
	{
		base::max(x, ..., na.rm = na.rm)
	},
	group = "Summary")

i don't have bleeding edge devel version installed, so i am not sure
whether recent changes to S4 have mooted the above.

(also, i thought i sent this last week, but i may have neglected to
make it plain text, so maybe you didn't get it)

franklin parlamis