[Rd] problems in installing packages with R version 2.4.0 alpha (2006-09-05 r39134)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 12 11:37:04 CEST 2006

       BDR> At least some of this will go away if you use a current
       BDR> version of 2.4.0 alpha rather than one that is a week
       BDR> old (as the posting guide does ask).  We are now at
       BDR> r39258, and some of those binary packages were built
       BDR> against a substantially later version of 2.4.0 alpha.

       BDR> [............]

    MM> Still "Thank you, Rich!" for running R-alpha and your report.
    MM> We are grateful for everyone who does use R-alpha and reports
    MM> "unusual" findings, even if some of them are already known to
    MM> the R developers.

I have really failed to add the following:

The fact that you get *binary* windows packages for R-alpha **at all**
is already remarkable and only the result of extensive, persistent and
diligent work by Uwe Ligges and Brian Ripley.
They shall be thanked thoroughly hereby!

[ For alpha-testing, I'd typically expect anyone to build
  anything from the sources -- which of course is quite a
  requirement for users of R for windows. ]

Martin