[Rd] attributes of S4 objects

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Fri Sep 15 15:46:42 CEST 2006

Parlamis Franklin wrote:
> I am having a bit of a struggle deciding when to use attributes with
> S4 objects.  Clearly the 'class' attribute will always be present.
> But it is not clear to me whether the architects of the methods
> package intend that other attributes, such as 'names', will still be
> used when the S4 implementation is complete.

"Can of worms" might be a good description of this situation.

The cautious approach would be to not assume attributes get carried over
to an object that uses a basic R data type ("numeric" in your example)
as the data in the new class.  If you need arbitrary attributes, it's
safer to make the old-style object into a slot:
  setClass("Numeric", representation(x = "numeric"))
which should not balk at the slot having attributes.

Here's the underlying point:  There are two very different computing
models here.  Old-style attributes were basically undisciplined; each
object could have its own collection of attributes and these could
appear and disappear.  Names are a good example:

 > z = 1:10
 > names(z) <- letters[1:10]
 > names(attributes(z))
[1] "names"
 > names(z) <- NULL
 > names(attributes(z))
NULL

In contrast, S4 class definitions guarantee what slots are available,
and that they inherit from specified classes.  So if names() in the S3
sense were made a part of the S4 object, they could not just disappear
as in this example.  But then it's doubtful that the great mound of code
that uses names in the S3 sense would still all work correctly for
objects from the S4 classes.  So the safe approach is to keep the two
ideas separate.

There are many ways to bridge the gap; for example, by having an
initialize() method for the S4 class that takes attributes from an S3
object and copies them into slots in the S4 object, when the attributes
happen to be there.