[Rd] S4 accessors

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Sep 26 02:20:49 CEST 2006

I have a small S4 class for which I've written a page grouping many of
the accessors and replacement functions together.  I would be interested
in people comments on the approach I've taken.

The code has a couple of decisions for which I could imagine
alternatives.  First, even simple get/set operations on class elements
are wrapped in functions.  I suppose I could just use myinstance at slot to
do some of these operations, though that is considered bad style in more
traditional OO contexts.

Second, even though the functions are tied to the class, I've defined
them as free functions rather than methods.  I suppose I could create a
generic that would reject most arguments, and then make methods
appropriately.

For the documentation, I've created a single page that groups many of
the functions together.  This is a bit awkward, since the return values
are necessarily the same.  Things are worse for replacement functions;
as I understand it, they must use "value" for their final argument, but
the value has different meanings and types in different contexts.

Any suggestions or comments?

I've attached the .Rd file in case more specifics would help.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062