[Rd] R CMD build when the package name is different from the directory name

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Sep 28 16:22:49 CEST 2006

Arne Henningsen <ahenningsen at agric-econ.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was really happy when I saw that in R version 2.3.0 "R CMD check" works for
> packages whose package name is different from the directory name in which it
> is located (see http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/NEWS).
> Now, I can have branches of my packages in directories like
> "[...]/branches/<version number>/", while I had to use
> "[...]/branches/<version number>/<package name>" before.
> "R CMD check <version number>" runs as expected but when I build the package
> with "R CMD build <version number>", the file name of the source package is
> name>_<version number>-<patch level>.tar.gz"). Furthermore the base directory
> inside the .tar.gz archive is "<version number>" (and not "<package
> name>").

I think that's a feature.  Note that R CMD INSTALL on such a package
does install the package under its "real" name.

It is a feature because it allows me to distinguish the tarballs from
each other.

Perhaps you can make this work for you by using a more meaningful
description than version number in your branch name.  For example:

.../branches/foo-release
.../branches/foo-devel
.../branches/foo-someNewFeature

As another poster suggested, an SCM is the right tool for tracking
versions.

+ seth