[Rd] unable to load lapack.so

Hiroyuki Kawakatsu hkawakat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:46:32 CEST 2006

On 9/28/06, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I'm having problems using ACML with R. I made two changes in
>> config.site by setting
>> LDFLAGS="-L/opt/acml3.1.0/gnu64/lib"
>> BLAS_LIBS="-lacml"
>
>That's not how the R-admin manual describes how to do this.
>Please try the way it does describe

After re-reading appendix A2.2, I still don't see what I am doing
wrong. The comments in config.site say
## Use LAPACK_LIBS for all '-L' and '-l' options needed for linking
## against an external LAPACK implementation.
## Note that (see R-admin) that our main intention is to allow a
## LAPACK-containing BLAS to be used, so this is rarely needed, and
## it is not used if the BLAS already contains LAPACK.
so I don't need to set LAPACK_LIBS as the acml BLAS already contains LAPACK?

> I am a bit puzzled: currently ACML is only available for Linux, Solaris
> and Windows, so where did you find a FreeBSD version?

I didn't; but see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2005-September/006043.html

> Apparently libRlapack.so.  Is it there (in R_HOME/lib)?

yes:
erdos# ls -l /usr/local/R-patched/lib
total 1808
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  30  1832001 Sep 29 07:08 libRlapack.so*

> (and please try 2.4.0 RC rather than an old patched version of 2.3.1).

Ah, when I tried R-rc, I found what I was doing wrong: the copy of R
in /usr/local/bin/R was not updated from R_HOME/bin/R

For R-rc with the same two changes in config.site, the build passes
make check (except for internet.R as I am behind a firewall and set
http_proxy in .Renviron which appears to be ignored by make check).
But in lib/ I now have

erdos# ls -l /usr/local/R-rc/lib/
total 2112
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  506   289732 Sep 29 07:52 libRblas.so*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  506  1831697 Sep 29 07:57 libRlapack.so*

Does this mean that the acml BLAS is not being used?

> version
               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-freebsd6.1
arch           x86_64
os             freebsd6.1
system         x86_64, freebsd6.1
status         RC
major          2
minor          4.0
year           2006
month          09
day            27
svn rev        39543
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.0 RC (2006-09-27 r39543)

h.
--
Hiroyuki Kawakatsu