[Rd] 'R CMD check' fails when suggested package is not available

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Thu Apr 5 10:08:13 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 17:05 -0700, Herve Pages wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering why I get the following error message:
>
>   * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
>   Packages required but not available:
>     Rmpi
>
> when I run 'R CMD check' on a package that _suggests_ Rmpi?
> Why isn't it OK to not have all the suggested packages installed?

Hi there too,

This has been discussed before:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/05/09/2326.html

Then the Core decided to maintain the Mafia style suggestion ("that you
can't refuse"), but later seems to have introduced a new field
"enhances" which to me looks like a suggestion in the meaning of the
word I know: a suggestion that you can refuse.

I think that the R-ext description is somewhat confusing and misleading
for fields "Requires", "Suggests", "Enhances". The R extension manual
"suggests" different situations where the author of the manual thinks
that other people would like to use these fields. However, the manual
does not clearly say what are the practical and real consequences of
selecting a certain entry. It seems that "Requires" means that a package
is always required, "Suggests" means that the package is required in
check (with a threat of error), but only suggested for normal use, and
"Enhances" means that the package only is suggested. It does not matter
whether the package really "enhances" anything, but this is the meaning
of the word in behaviouristic sense.

cheers, jari oksanen

--
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea that could
only have been invented in California." -- Edsger Dijkstra