[Rd] Fortran coding standards

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 15:55:07 CEST 2007

I am not familiar with fseries, nor the other routines you
mentioned, but can I make a few points:

(1) A good part of R's fortran code are "borrowed" from elsewhere.
When one is "borrowing", it is customary to keep deviation minimum
and strictly necessary i.e. bug-fixes only, and no re-indentation,
nor stylistic changes like many of those you outlined. All in all,
if you want to push for stylistic changes, you need to approach
the original writers.

(2) g77, gfortran are not the only fortran compilers out there!
"...it is standard Fortran 90 and is supported by g77", is just not
good enough - what do you mean by "...also conforms to later standards"?
Some piece of code is either fortran 77 conformant, or not
(i.e. *at least one* feature used are not).

(3) if it is not broken, don't try to fix it. It is possible to debate
on stylistic changes for eternity and not getting any real work done.

HTL