[Rd] identify() and metafile copies under Windows XP (PR#9634)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 00:34:42 CEST 2007

This seems not specific to metafiles, nor even to Windows (but the use of
Esc is specific to Rgui).  As I understand it you expected the results of
a graphics operation you interrupted to be copied.

I don't see anything on the help page explaining what happens if you
interrupt during identify(), so in the words of the POSIX standards I
would expect this to be 'undefined'.  The help page does explain how to
terminate an identify() call, and what puzzles me is why you did not do as
it suggests.

What a 'copy' means depends on the 'from' and 'to' devices, and how you
copy.  It seems reasonable that saving a bitmap might be different from
copying the plot to a device at a different resolution.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, jgvcqa at rit.edu wrote:

> I am running R version as follows under Windows XP.
>

> platform       i386-pc-mingw32
> arch           i386
> os             mingw32
> system         i386, mingw32
> status
> major          2
> minor          5.0
> year           2007
> month          04
> day            23
> svn rev        41293
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
>

> Consider the following R commands and comments
>
> x<-1:10
> plot(x)
> identify(x,n=1)
> # I click under the 4th data point (and "4" appears on the graph). I
> save as a Metafile and paste into Word. The original plot and "4" are
> copied. This is good.
>
> identify(x)
> # I click under the 5th data point (and "5" also now appears on the
> graph) and then use the Esc key to stop the processing. I save as a
> Metafile and paste into Word. The original plot and "4" are copied, but
> "5" is not copied. This is not good.

But as no point was returned to the console, why did you think it has been
successfully marked?