[Rd] ifelse behaviour

ml-it-r-devel at epigenomics.com ml-it-r-devel at epigenomics.com
Thu Apr 26 17:53:09 CEST 2007

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 4/26/2007 9:53 AM, ml-it-r-devel at epigenomics.com wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm puzzled by the return value of ifelse
>>
>> consider
>>
>> x<-integer(0)
>> ifelse(is(x, "character"), paste(x), x)
>> [1] NA
>
> The test evaluates to a length 1 logical vector containing FALSE.  So
> ifelse() tries to return the first entry of x.  But x[1] doesn't exist,
> so it evaluates to NA, and that's what ifelse() returns.

Thank you for the explanation!

Regards,

   Matthias

--
Matthias Burger                     Project Manager/ Biostatistician
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
http://www.epigenomics.com           matthias.burger at epigenomics.com
--
Epigenomics AG Berlin           Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 75861
Vorstand:   Geert Nygaard (CEO/Vorsitzender),  Dr. Kurt Berlin (CSO)