[Rd] How to suppress 'Loading required package ...' via Depends/Imports

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Apr 27 15:35:35 CEST 2007

I tend to run batch jobs via littler. These often start with a single line
in-house packages now use Depends: entries in DESCRIPTION, rather than
require() in R/zzz.R.  This seems to have at least one undesirable side
effect: noise.

Using require(), I can choose the 'quietly=TRUE, warn.conflict=FALSE'
arguments, and additionally I can wrap the require call in stopfifnot()
making it both quiet and failure proof.

But I cannot figure out how to tell R via DESCRIPTION how to
  a) not tell me its loading a package
  b) keep quiet about the conflicts

In other words, how do I get rid of all this:

  foo:~s> ./someLittlerScript

  Attaching package: 'zoo'

          The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

           rapply

Thanks, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison