[Rd] Cross compiling with R250

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 18:39:13 CEST 2007

ernesto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrongly assumed it would use R in the cross compiling directory and I
> did not found any reference to it on documentation. Obviously my fault,
> as you say.

The cross-compile section of the admin manual did mention this:

"You also need a working copy of this version of R on Linux: uncomment
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
and set R_EXE in MkRules to point to it."

and "this version" is in italic. IMHO, this point isn't emphased or
prominent enough though. (I would put an underline or set that in bold,
for example...) I did make the mistake some times ago
of assuming that cross-compile would take the version of R as much
as possible from the cross directory rather than from that of native R.

Can I suggest this information be repeated a few more times, and/or
given more emphasis in that section? :-).

HTL

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> You are pretty clearly not cross-compiling 'with R 2.5.0' (sic), as R
>> 2.5.0 does contain Sys.setenv.
>>
>> Looks like the R on Linux you are using is not R 2.5.0, and please
>> cross-check the instructions.
>>
>> This has been tested.
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, ernesto wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm cross compiling win R in a linux Ubuntu Edgy and I'm getting an
>>> error with the utils package. Sys.setenv exists on my R 2.5.0 ...
>>>
>>> I'm using the tools provided for R250 in
>>> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/i586-cross-tools.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> EJ
>>>

>>> ---------- Making package utils ------------
>>>  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>>>  installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
>>>  preparing package utils for lazy loading
>>> Error: could not find function "Sys.setenv"
>>> Execution halted
>>> make[5]: *** [lazyload] Error 1
>>> make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
>>> make[3]: *** [pkg-utils] Error 2