[Rd] Package portability issues

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 18:29:39 CEST 2007

We have some new Solaris boxes (both Sparc and amd64), and as they are not
yet in production use I borrowed some time on them to run tests over CRAN
packages, using the Solaris make and Sun Studio compilers.  The results
were quite depressing.  Sun Studio 12 compilers are also available for
Linux, and there the problems are worse (for C++ code).

Line endings
============

We checked in R CMD check for CRLF line endings on C/C++/Fortran source
files.  However, two packages have CR line endings, which apparently gcc
accepts but no other compiler I can find.  R CMD check now checks for CR
or CRLF line endings.

Apparently GNU make accepts makefiles with CRLF line endings, but Solaris
make does not. 28 packages had src/Makevars[.in] or src/Makefile with CRLF
line endings.  R CMD check now checks for this.

Fortran portability
===================

The GNU compilers have never implemented the exact Fortran standards: g77
was said to be a 'GNU Fortran' compiler, and gfortran has '--std=legacy'.
So they are not a good check of portability.

There is a comprehensive checker available at
http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~ftnchek/ .  This is picky, but does pick up
the main portability problems I found:

- the use of non-integer variables for array indices
- naming variables with the names of builtin functions.
- calling functions with the wrong argument type.

gfortran -Wall does warn on the first and you will see examples in the
CRAN check summaries.

Although REAL*8 is non-standard it does not seem to cause any actual
problems.

Make dialects
=============

R does not require GNU make, and if possible packages should not do so.
If your package does, please follow the example of Matrix and declare

SystemRequirements:   GNU make

in the DESCRIPTION file.  (I found 4 other instances: seems an Urbanek
speciality.)  I think most people would have access to GNU make, but do
need to be warned that it is needed.

Compiler flags
==============

Flags such as -Wall and -pedantic have no place in distributed Makevars.
Neither do optimization flags, nor does -Wno-conversion.

(Packages that fail because of this include Cairo, amap, gmp.
FortranCallsR defines FFLAGS but fortunately that is always
overridden.)

C++ issues
==========

Most of the packages using C++ failed.  Please resist the temptation to
write C in C++: writing it in C is much more portable.  (About 40 packages
could not be installed because of C++ issues even after changing the R
headers.)

1) One common error message is

    An integer constant expression is required within the array subscript
    operator.

Here is an example:

         double data[(*nrow)+2*env][(*ncol)+2*env];

This affects at least packages

GammaTest MCMCpack MasterBayes clusterSim dprep edci epsi knnFinder pbatR
rmetasim zicounts

2) Including C header files is fraught with difficulties.  Unfortunately
that includes the R header files, because they in turn include system C
headers.

The checking of which features were available was done using the C
compiler with particular flags, and glibc has a habit of hiding features
depending on the flags set.  So a C header called from the C++ compiler
may not declare things that the same header called from the C compiler
does.  This means that C99 features such as isfinite may not be seen from
the C++ compiler.  (I have since modified R-devel not to use isfinite in
packages.)

Another example (from MSBVAR)

"/usr/include/stdbool.h", line 42: Error: #error "Use of<stdbool.h> is
valid only in a c99 compilation environment.".

In a Linux environment the Sun Studio CC compiler will not compile some
standard C headers such as stdlib.h and math.h (and really cstdlib and
cmath should be used).

3) Using features of particular sets of headers, e.g.

"General.h", line 3: Error: Could not open include file<map.h>.
"Scythe_Matrix.h", line 193: Error: __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ is not defined.
"mstructs.cc", line 733: Error: The function "isinf" must have a prototype.
"unf.cpp", line 459: Error: The function "finite" must have a prototype.
"matrix.h", line 142: Error: Could not open include file<stdexcep>.
"gnm.c", line 113: identifier redeclared: single
"data.cpp", line 129: Error: _Ios_Openmode is not a member of std.
"./metasim.h", line 32: Error: Could not open include file<ext/algorithm>.
"gbmentry.cpp", line 703: Error: NAN is not defined.

4) There are several instances on Solaris of things like

"GCDcrt.cpp", line 46: Error: Overloading ambiguity between
"std::sqrt(double)" and "std::sqrt(long double)".

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk