[Rd] Compiling R for the Sony Playstation 3?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 3 16:00:36 CEST 2007

P.S. A site with instructions for installing Ubuntu on the PS3 is
psubuntu.com or google "PS3 Ubuntu" to get the community pages
documentation.

It is a good idea to have an Ethernet connection so that once you
install from the CD you can upgrade the packages.  The kernel on the
installation CD image has a known bug that causes it to flood the
system log with messages about querying the memory card readers.  You
want to replace that kernel with a later version.

The processor is apparently a 3.2 GHz dual-core PowerPC-64.  It
doesn't feel as fast as I expected but that could be because of memory
bandwidth (256 MB of memory plus 256 MB of graphics memory that isn't
used by Linux at present) or disk access.  However, it still runs R
faster than any other DVD player I have ever had.