[Rd] Optimization in R

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Sat Aug 4 17:10:29 CEST 2007

Hi Andrew,
I have been working quite a bit with optim and friends on automated
nonlinear fitting, mainly for calibration. All of the optimizers
seem to have trouble in the tricky situation of fitting a log-logistic
model when the upper asymptote is not well defined, and trying to
estimate a variance
parameter. Granted this is not necessarily the optimizer, but a
combination
of objective function, convergence criteria, scaling, ...
But my point is that for automated fitting where many starting values,
iterations with
pseudo likelihood for the variance function, over multiple curves, the
overhead of
the function written in R vs C can become non-negligible for "simple"
univariate functions.
So I have to agree with Duncan, that R is very good for prototyping but
C would be preferable.

I can contribute some "hard" problems if you start the package.

Nicholas