[Rd] Optimization in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 7 12:33:47 CEST 2007

Those are small parts of the calculation, not the whole thing.  The
original point was that optim() is a very thin wrapper around the code
to do the optimization.  I just don't see a need to make it more
complicated so it can be used to wrap other methods.  Authors of new
optimization methods can just create new functions, following the
pattern set by optim(), and it will be easier for almost everyone.

Duncan Murdoch